Art and Design courses
BA (Hons) Graphic Design (National Student Survey 2015)
Design courses in the UK (National Student Survey 2015)
Study art and design in our creative community, where you’ll work with students from across our arts courses, broadening your artistic horizons.
From graphic designers to fine artists, whatever your chosen art and design course you’ll be taught by experienced practitioners who are still working as artists and designers and have up-to-the-minute knowledge, plus great industry contacts. These links mean that you’ll have the opportunity to work with external clients on real briefs, so you’ll graduate with a comprehensive portfolio of work to help launch your career.
- Course search
- Visit us
- Order your prospectus
- What our students say
- Undergraduate study
- Postgraduate study
- Professional development and short courses
- Part-time study
- Online learning
- Study abroad
- Careers and employment
- Student fees and finance
- Student life and support
- Contact us
I think you’d be hard pressed to find a better equipped university!
"If you are looking for a really friendly city with loads going on, and a course that allows you plenty of space to develop your style then Derby is for you. To get the most out of the course, you need to work hard and enjoy what you’re doing, be able to take constructive criticism on board and learn from your mistakes. I think you’d be hard pressed to find a better equipped university. The screen printing studio was brilliant and we had access to the laser cutter and darkrooms."
This is Art and Design
- Sharpen your art and design skills and showcase your talent in competitions and exhibitions. Appearing at exhibitions such as New Designers in London and competing in national and international student design competitions such as RSA and D&AD has helped our graduates launch successful careers and raise their profile
- Illustration student Thomas Edmondson won a Screening Prize at the New Designers Awards, a new award for 2016 to recognise the importance of digital media
- Give yourself a competitive edge - work placements can lead to an extra qualification, the Diploma in Professional Practice
- Our Digital Print Resource offers you hands-on experience with a wide range of the latest digital printing equipment including a Mimaki fabric printer, sublimation printer, laser cutter, UV printer, large format photographic printers, Roland vinyl printer, bookbinding and foiling machine
- We'll help you achieve your ambitions - if you want to set up your own business, our business support and incubation service will help you get off to the best start, with access to all the support you need to establish and grow your business
The £21m Markeaton Street site was created specifically for arts, design and technology courses with purpose-built studios and specialist facilities for all our art, design, media and performing arts students.
What our Art and Design graduates do
You’ll stand out from the creative crowd with our career-focused degrees.
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- web and digital design
- computer games
- practising artist
- creative director
- graphic designers
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days: