BA (Hons) History (National Student Survey 2017)
Our highly regarded history degrees are flexible, taught by experts, and are relevant to today’s world.
Study history at Derby and you will be able to relate the past to the present. With a rich heritage surrounding you, from the original Roman settlement to the region’s pivotal role in the Industrial Revolution, studying history at Derby will help you understand some of the problems facing us today.
Our focus is on modern and contemporary history, with specific topics including the First World War, the Cold War and the history of medicine.
Our central location means you’ll have the opportunity to take part in a range of visits and fieldtrips which will help you put your studies into context – previous students have visited the Imperial War Museum, the Victoria and Albert Museum, the historic city of Chester and the urban heartland of Manchester.
- Course search
- Visit us
- Order your prospectus
- What our students say
- Undergraduate study
- Postgraduate study
- Professional development and short courses
- Part-time study
- Online learning
- Study abroad
- Careers and employment
- Student fees and finance
- Student life and support
- Contact us
“My time at Derby has been wonderful”
“My time at Derby has been wonderful. I started with the clear goal to become a teacher, not really knowing that I would gain so much from the experience. I cannot fault the history lecturers for their guidance, patience and kindness. I was so pleased to win the award just before my graduation. It was such an honour to see all my research, hard work and passion for history recognised. From the archive research to the writing, this piece of work was immensely enjoyable and exciting to create.”
Rebecca graduated with a First Class Honours in History and English and was awarded the Royal Historical Society/History Today Undergraduate Dissertation Prize for her dissertation: Cutting Through the ‘Gordian Knot’: The British Military Service Tribunals During the Great War.
This is History
- Apply your learning through community projects as well as a variety of visits and fieldtrips to a range of locations from country houses to industrial cities
- You’ll have the chance to bring history to life; recently, our students have been designing exhibits charting the history of Derbyshire County Cricket Club and redesigning the visitor experience at Derby’s Silk Mill, site of the world’s first factory
- Gain valuable experience by organising, marketing and taking part in a one-day conference as part of the Public History module
- Discover a different perspective on history by studying abroad – you could choose to spend a semester of your second year at one of our partner universities in the USA or you can take part in our Go Places, Go Further scheme and spend up to one year at one of our partner universities across the globe
- Our lecturers are highly regarded experts across different aspects of history with a number of books and published articles to their name.
What our History graduates do
Our history degrees are relevant, informative, designed to develop communication skills and to give you the best start in your career.
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- civil service
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days: