Music and Music Production courses
Become part of Derby’s lively music scene and learn to fine-tune your talents in our state-of-the-art facilities.
With award-winning festivals and bustling live music venues nearby, there’s plenty of inspiration for you close at hand. Make the most of our industry-standard recording studios, dedicated rehearsal and practice spaces, auditoria, music technology labs and post-production rooms equipped with the latest software. We also own Derby Theatre, a professional working theatre, providing the ideal place to hone your performance skills and opportunities for compositions for film scores, theatre and dance performances.
- Course search
- Visit us
- Order your prospectus
- What our students say
- Undergraduate study
- Postgraduate study
- Professional development and short courses
- Part-time study
- Online learning
- Study abroad
- Careers and employment
- Student fees and finance
- Student life and support
- Contact us
Derby had brand new studios and brand new post production area - just so much variety!
“You'll learn from lecturers who have lots of experience in the industry - who have set up record labels, worked with interesting technology such as multichannel surround sound in live performances and Building Modular synthesis systems, and played instruments on famous albums.” Watch Kieran's full interview here.
This is Music and Music Production
- Learn from the experts – our teaching team includes professionals who have an in-depth knowledge of the industry and are leading the way in music technology. They include John Crossley, a lecturer who has put together a live music show in ground-breaking 16-channel surround sound
- Some of our music courses are accredited by the Joint Audio Media Education Support (JAMES) so you can be confident that they meet the high standards demanded by industry
- We were the first UK university to have a Wave1 processor installed, putting us at the forefront of developments in 3D sound and one of the three studios sponsored by Focusrite
- Give yourself the professional edge – our work placements can lead to an extra qualification, the Diploma in Professional Practice
The £21m Markeaton Street site was created specifically for arts, design and technology courses with purpose-built studios and specialist facilities for all our art, design, media and performing arts students. This includes: a new suite of recording studios.
What our Music and Music Production graduates do
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
You could also go on to study our MA Music Production postgraduate degree.
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days: